The seven chakras are an ancient Hindu and Buddhist philosophy. The chakra system represents 7 main points of the body and fundamental energy centers. These energy centers govern different aspects of our wellbeing and path to enlightenment. They each have different characteristics and associated colors. When they are in balance, they allow you to forge a deeper connection and understanding of your mind, body and spirit. The chakras are a vital life-force and help energies flow smoothly.
These energy points follow up the spine and correspond to the major glands, organs, and nerve centers which are also reflected in the Traditional Chinese Medicine concepts of meridians and Qi.
Root Chakra: “I AM”
“I grow from a steady foundation.”
HEALING FREQUENCY: 396 hz
CRYSTALS: Garnet, Hematite, Jasper
ESSENTIAL OILS: Patchouli and Sandalwood
POSES: Warrior 1
- Located at the base of your spine near your tailbone.
- Controls the ovaries or testes.
- Corresponding color relates to our core feelings of security; the foundation upon which we are built.
- Covers basic survival needs such as food, water, and shelter.
- Relates to our relationship with wealth and abundance and how we cultivate it.
- When unbalanced it’s common to experience feelings of fear, worry, or insecurity.
- When balanced you’ll most likely feel grounded and stable.
To open the the Root Chakra, you can visualise the color red during meditation, wear red, or buy red flowers. It helps to work with the corresponding crystals and music/healing frequency. You can also work through any attachment and abundance issues you face. Grounding practices such as breathwork, meditation, yoga, and spending time in nature, as well as eating reddish foods that come from the earth (like root vegetables), are all effective healing methods. Enough sleep/rest is also important.
Sacral Chakra: “I FEEL”
“I flow with the rhythms of life.”
HEALING FREQUENCY: 417 hz
CRYSTALS: Carnelian, Amber, Sunstone
ESSENTIAL OILS: Neroli and Ylang Ylang
POSES: Bound Angle
- Located at the base of your stomach below your naval.
- Controls adrenal glands.
- Corresponding color relates to sexuality, creativity, and joy.
- When unbalanced you’ll experience negative feelings towards sex and of inadequacy and will most likely feel resistant towards relationships.
- When balanced it’s common to feel emotional stability and control over your future.
Balancing this chakra comes from practices that prioritize your hobbies and community. It includes making sure you are equally satisfied in all areas of your life. Intuitive and intentional dance are excellent practices for getting in-tune with yourself and awakening your Divine Femininity. You can also envision the color orange as you meditate, eat orange foods, or wear orange colors. Massage can be beneficial as well.
Solar Plexus: “I DO”
“I stand in my personal power.”
HEALING FREQUENCY: 538 hz
CRYSTALS: Citrine, Yellow Citrine, Tiger’s Eye
ESSENTIAL OILS: Lemon and Grapefruit
POSES: Boat Pose
- Located in the center of the body over the ribs.
- Controls the pancreas.
- Corresponding color relates to our personal power, autonomy, and self-assurance.
- When unbalanced you’ll experience a struggle with conFirenze and initiation and you may be too egotistical or headstrong.
- When balanced it’s common to feel like you can live in your fullest expression of self.
To restore Solar Plexus energy, you can visualise the colour yellow, wear yellow, buy yellow flowers, or eat yellow foods. There are also specific chakra meditation practices you can participate in for this chakra. Learning a new skill or spending time in sun can also be helpful.
Heart Chakra: “I LOVE”
“When I love myself, loving others comes easily.”
COLOR: GREEN or PINK
HEALING FREQUENCY: 639 hz
CRYSTALS: Rose Quartz, Malachite, Adventurine
ESSENTIAL OILS: Rose and Geranium
POSES: Camel Pose
- Located in the center of the chest over the heart.
- Controls thymus gland.
- Corresponding color relates to universal feelings of unconditional love for all living things and beings.
- When unbalanced you’ll experience difficulty in expressing your feelings and love for yourself and you may lose inner peace.
- When balanced it’s common to feel deep compassion, connection, and empathy for yourself and others and you’ll be confident in that expression.
To expand your Heart Chakra, you can perform self-love and kindness meditations. Keeping a gratitude journal and engaging in self-care and random acts of kindness will be largely beneficial. Like the others, you can also visualise, wear and eat pink or green colors to bring the chakra into a more balanced state. It’s also particularly beneficial to spend time with loved ones and to practice self-love daily.
Throat Chakra: “I SPEAK”
“I speak my truth anyway.”
HEALING FREQUENCY: 741 hz
CRYSTALS: Lapis, Lazuli, Sodalite, Turquoise
ESSENTIAL OILS: Rosemary and Eucalyptus
POSES: Fish Pose
- Located at the base of the throat.
- Controls the thyroid gland.
- Corresponding color relates to our abilities to speak with honesty and integrity.
- When balanced it’s common to be able to confidently and fully communicate.
- When unbalanced you’ll experience a struggle to express emotional freely or to confidently stand up for yourself. You might be too talkative or too quiet.
To strengthen your Throat Chakra you can engage in singing or chanting. Using your voice is important. Practice carving out your authentic voice in the world and learn to always speak from a place of honor and confidence. You can also wear blue, eat blue foods and visualise the color.
Third Eye: “I SEE”
“I am open to exploring what cannot be seen.”
HEALING FREQUENCY: 852 hz
CRYSTALS: Amethyst, Celestite, Labradorite
ESSENTIAL OILS: Clary Sage and Frankincense
POSES: Child’s Pose
- Located between the eyebrows.
- Controls the pituitary gland.
- Corresponding color relates to our ability to be intuitive and in tune with our instincts and inner knowledge.
- When unbalanced you’ll experience losing touch with yourself and internal voice and may be overly logical or live in the clouds just a little too much.
- When balanced it’s common to feel like you live more presently and meaningfully and in more harmony. You’ll better see the bigger picture and feel in touch with the Divine.
Your third eye is the window to your soul. A lot of growth and enlightenment happens here. To strengthen your Third Eye, you can perform intuition building practices such as reading Tarot Cards and learning to lead less with the logic of your mind, but rather feeling with your gut or inner knowledge. You can also envision the color purple, wear it, and eat purple foods. Meditating, especially with crystals, is also an excellent ritual for strengthening your Third Eye. Dream journaling can help you become more connected to your subconscious. Stargazing and contemplating the great mystery of life is also beneficial to feeling connected to your Third Eye.
Crown Chakra: “I KNOW”
“I am a vessel for love and light.”
COLOR: White and Violet
HEALING FREQUENCY: 928 hz
CRYSTALS: Clear Quartz, Selenite, Moonstone
ESSENTIAL OILS: Lavender and Jasmine
- Located at the top of the head.
- Controls the pineal gland.
- Corresponding color relates to our higher power and purpose and our connection with the Divine and the meaning of life.
- When unbalanced you’ll experience feelings of being lost and out of touch with the world and yourself.
- When balanced it’s common to feel at one with the universe and all creation and your ability to access a higher path or consciousness.
To strengthen your Crown Chakra you can perform any kind of spiritual practice that resonates with you and allows you to connect on a deeper level. Meditation is an especially good practice here. You can also visualise a bright white light surrounded by light purple, and wear/eat the corresponding colors.
Less Known Chakras
Earth Star Chakra
Located a foot below us (a foot below the earth).
Grounds us to Mother Earth.
Relates to our ancestry or karmic past.
Soul Star Chakra
Located a foot above us.
Connects us to universal source energy and our higher selves.
Balancing your chakras can be a difficult endeavor so it’s easier to focus on one at at time. This can be daily or weekly but it is important to focus on them nonetheless. They’re a big part of who you are. Tapping into their power, energies, and capabilities will accelerate your growth and path to enlightenment. This guide is an easy breakdown to help you understand and better approach your chakras. Always start with the chakras you feel drawn to that need the most attention first.